page 1
page 2
page 3
page 4
page 5
page 6
page 7
page 8
page 9
page 10
page 11
page 12
page 13
page 14
page 15
page 16
page 17
page 18
page 19
page 20
page 21
page 22
page 23
page 24
page 25
page 26
page 27
page 28
page 29
page 30
page 31
page 32
page 33
page 34
page 35
page 36
page 37
page 38
page 39
page 40
page 41
page 42
page 43
page 44
page 45
page 46
page 47
page 48
page 49
page 50
page 51
page 52
page 53
page 54
page 55
page 56
page 57
page 58
page 59
page 60
page 61
page 62
page 63
page 64
page 65
page 66
page 67
page 68
page 69
page 70
page 71
page 72
page 73
page 74
page 75
page 76
page 77
page 78
page 79
page 80
page 81
page 82
page 83
page 84
page 85
page 86
page 87
page 88
page 89
page 90
page 91
page 92
page 93
page 94
page 95
page 96
page 97
page 98
page 99
page 100

16 October 07 Businessexcellence Without the existing infrastructure of what used to be a sizeable mining community in the 1930s, Louis Wolfin and Bill Kocken would not be looking forward to their first gold bars from Bralorne Gold Mines. The mine has had a long and sometimes tortuous history, but the importance of its infrastructure has never been far from the surface. The west coast gold rush came to British Columbia in the late 1860s, attracting hundreds of prospectors from San Francisco to the Fraser Valley, north and east of the city of Vancouver. In 1896 Harry Atwood and William Allen staked claims for Pioneer Mine, east of Vancouver; Frank Kinder acquired a 50 percent share by promising to purchase and operate a stamp mill, which proved capable of crushing only about a hundred pounds of gold ore per day. Atwood and Allen, frustrated with the slow progress, withdrew from the partnership, leaving Kinder to operate on his own for the next six years, when he sold out to a syndicate for $20,000. In 1915, Pioneer Gold Mines Limited was incorporated. For the next decade the mine was producing, but it was examined and turned down by numerous companies who had no faith in its potential. In 1928 the nearby Lorne Mine was incorporated and a company town was formed. Although 60,000 tons of ore with proven value were discovered, in 1930 mining broker Stobie Furlong and Company ran into trouble, and under investigation of the market, declared bankruptcy. Financing on the Lorne Mine disappeared, and without new investment the project was doomed. In early 1931 a deal was reached with Balco Development and Investment Company to form a new company with the Lorne shareholders retaining an interest. Bralorne Mines Limited was incorporated in 1931, and a mill was constructed to handle a capacity of 100 tons of ore per day. In 1932 the first gold brick was poured at Bralorne; weighing 363 ounces, it was worth $6,217 at the time. In 1959 the two mines amalgamated to form Bralorne-Pioneer Mines Ltd under the direction of Franc Joubin; this move facilitated the development of holdings along their common boundary, and the combined working capital provided funds for exploration and expansion. However, rapid expansion sometimes proves costly, and in 1971, the cost of production overtook the market price of gold, which was $36 per ounce, and the Bralorne-Pioneer Mines were shut down. However, from 1932 until the closing, these mines produced 4.15 million ounces of gold— the largest amount in the Canadian Cordillera mountain region. The Bralorne-Pioneer mine property is an extensive holding of mineral claims and crown grants that includes the Bralorne Gold Mines Ltd (2,294 hectares or 5,668.6 acres) in the historic Bridge “Look for a gold mine where there already is a gold mine,” says Bralorne Gold Mines president Bill Kocken to Gary Toushek. With the infrastructure already in place, he hopes to be pouring gold bars by the end of 2008 Goldenassets

October 07 Businessexcellence 17 River gold mining camp in southwest British Columbia. Bralorne Gold Mines owns 100 percent, according to an assignment agreement with Avino Silver and Gold Mines Ltd, dated June 21, 2002. Avino Mines and Resources Limited first became involved in the LOCO property in 1987 and subsequently acquired 100 percent ownership from Love Oil Company, Coral Gold Corporation and Levon Resources. The original Bralorne Pioneer mine property was then acquired by Avino Mines and Resources Limited in November 1991. In July 1993, Bralorne Pioneer Gold Mines Ltd. made an agreement with Avino to earn a 50 percent interest in the property by spending $1,000,000 over three years. Bralorne Pioneer Gold Mines Ltd carried out exploration and underground development work, constructed a mill, and carried out permitting for a mine operation. The company was granted a mine development certificate for the property, conditional on a payment of $50,000 to increase the r e c l ama t i o n bond. Louis Wolfin met Bill Kocken in the early 1980s and was impressed enough with his knowledge of mining to invite him to become a director of three of Wolfin’s companies (since 1972 Kocken had operated Terra Mine in the Northwest Territories, which produced 16 million ounces of silver; he left in 1986 when new management took over, and three years later the mine was in receivership and shut down). In 1996 Kocken retired and Wolfin asked him to put a plan together for Bralorne Mines, but Kocken passed on it, until seven years later when he had grown weary of retirement and agreed to become president and CFO of Bralorne. In August 2003 Kocken supervised the construction of the mill (he had experience in mill fabrication as well as steel fabrication in the Vancouver area, having completed many industrial and mining projects in the 1960s). He tested the mill in 2004 by running a 20,000 ton bulk sample test and recovered approximately 3,000 ounces of gold. The strategy was to explore the previously unexplored area between the three mines, and it proved fruitful. Infrastructure “If we had to start from scratch to construct services like roads, municipal water and power, it would cost at least $50 million. In the 1930s this was the largest community north of San Francisco, with schools, police, fire station, hospital, banks, housing. Most of those buildings are still standing”