page 1
page 2
page 3
page 4
page 5
page 6
page 7
page 8
page 9
page 10
page 11
page 12
page 13
page 14
page 15
page 16
page 17
page 18
page 19
page 20
page 21
page 22
page 23
page 24
page 25
page 26
page 27
page 28
page 29
page 30
page 31
page 32
page 33
page 34
page 35
page 36
page 37
page 38
page 39
page 40
page 41
page 42
page 43
page 44
page 45
page 46
page 47
page 48
page 49
page 50
page 51
page 52
page 53
page 54
page 55
page 56
page 57
page 58
page 59
page 60
page 61
page 62
page 63
page 64
page 65
page 66
page 67
page 68
page 69
page 70
page 71
page 72
page 73
page 74
page 75
page 76
page 77
page 78
page 79
page 80
page 81
page 82
page 83
page 84
page 85
page 86
page 87
page 88
page 89
page 90
page 91
page 92
page 93
page 94
page 95
page 96
page 97
page 98
page 99
page 100
page 101
page 102
page 103
page 104
page 105
page 106
page 107
page 108
page 109
page 110
page 111
page 112
page 113
page 114
page 115
page 116
page 117
page 118
page 119
page 120
page 121
page 122
page 123
page 124
page 125
page 126
page 127
page 128

102 www. bus- ex. com September / October 09

Fruit and Veg City in 2005." The Food Lovers Market is FVC's premium store brand. Generally larger in size, it offers a huge diversity of products, from the most exotic of fruit to a connoisseur range of cheese and sushi, turning food shopping into a pleasurable experience, an outing rather than a chore. The final link in the chain is the Freshstop store. A new take on the old convenience store ( c- store), the Freshstop is a small outlet providing FVC's hallmark fresh and healthy produce. Following a groundbreaking agreement with Chevron, the holding company for Texaco and Caltex, the brand now looks set to sweep across the petrol station forecourts of South Africa. The origins of the deal go back to a decision by Chevron to concentrate on its core competence, pumping petrol, and to outsource the retail shops at its forecourts. Searching for a suitably profitable and enticing replacement for the existing shops, Chevron came across FVC's Food Lovers stores. It examined FVC's track record, and invited the company to take part in a forecourt trial, attracted by what could be a world first- introducing fresh and healthy food to the forecourt. " They gave us four forecourts on which to pilot the store," Liebenberg explains, " and the results over one quarter were phenomenal. The worst performing store showed a growth of 35 per cent, while the best was at 102 per cent. And that was in a declining market, so the real growth was probably 10 to 20 per cent more than that." The terms of the deal with Chevron are that FVC is the approved partner for the retail side of the business. But at each individual forecourt, the decision over who will provide the brand and infrastructure for the retail outlet is down to the forecourt franchisee. " And we don't want to muscle them into it," Liebenberg explains. " We want them to make an informed choice. After all, we do offer an excellent commercial proposition." FVC plans to have 20 stores up and running by the end of this year, 50 by the end of next year, and to convert the balance over a longer period. Once this is completed, FVC September / October 09 www. bus- ex. com 103 into ideas Fresh The concept behind Fruit and Veg City has struck a chord with the public in South Africa. Graeme Liebenberg talks to Gay Sutton about a massive expansion that could see healthy fresh produce on sale at petrol station forecourts across the country T he concept behind this meteoric rise was to create a store that sold the best quality fresh fruit and vegetables direct from the market at the best possible price. The launch of the first Fruit and Veg City in Access Park, Cape Town, heralded an astonishing if not intimidating period of growth. " The success of the business has been exponential, and almost by default rather than being planned," explains Graeme Liebenberg, head of franchising and business development. " People saw what we were doing and began approaching Brian and Mike saying they were interested in doing a similar thing. Within two years we had begun franchising the concept." Today, 80 per cent of the stores are franchised and the remaining 20 per cent are company- owned. That first outlet in Cape Town quickly took shape and became the Fresher Food store brand, aimed at high- density areas such as value malls and busy high streets, where large numbers of people would be passing by. The focus of the store was on healthy eating, selling a wide variety of fresh food, smoothies, sandwiches, fresh baked products, cheeses and fresh meats. " Then, as always, the habits of the consumer started to change," Liebenberg says, " and a section of the public began looking for a much more rewarding shopping experience. That was how the Food Lover's Market idea came about