page 1
page 2
page 3
page 4
page 5
page 6
page 7
page 8
page 9
page 10
page 11
page 12
page 13
page 14
page 15
page 16
page 17
page 18
page 19
page 20
page 21
page 22
page 23
page 24
page 25
page 26
page 27
page 28
page 29
page 30
page 31
page 32
page 33
page 34
page 35
page 36
page 37
page 38
page 39
page 40
page 41
page 42
page 43
page 44
page 45
page 46
page 47
page 48
page 49
page 50
page 51
page 52
page 53
page 54
page 55
page 56
page 57
page 58
page 59
page 60
page 61
page 62
page 63
page 64
page 65
page 66
page 67
page 68
page 69
page 70
page 71
page 72
page 73
page 74
page 75
page 76
page 77
page 78
page 79
page 80
page 81
page 82
page 83
page 84
page 85
page 86
page 87
page 88
page 89
page 90
page 91
page 92
page 93
page 94
page 95
page 96
page 97
page 98
page 99
page 100
page 101
page 102
page 103
page 104
page 105
page 106
page 107
page 108
page 109
page 110
page 111
page 112
page 113
page 114
page 115
page 116
page 117
page 118
page 119
page 120
page 121
page 122
page 123
page 124

McCain Foods SA on less land and in harsher climates than any other major crop. A single potato has twice as much potassium as a banana and as much protein as found in half a cup of milk. Counter intuitively, a medium potato also contains about half the recommended daily intake of vitamin C! In fact McCain is on something of a crusade when it comes to healthy food. It claims to be one of the first companies to start making products without trans- fats and it has a target that at least 60 per cent of all new products launched will meet the company's Better For You criteria of a low fat and salt content. Within the limitations of a processed food regime, it is also developing recipes that use the same simple, wholesome ingredients used by domestic cooks. It also promises that should inclusion of an unfamiliar ingredient be necessary, the packaging will explain what it is and why it is being used. But McCain isn't just dominant in the domestic market. It is also a major supplier to the food service industry, with some of the best known names in fast food catering on its client list. In fact, wherever food is served, McCain frozen foods could be present- in schools, where the emphasis is to develop healthier foods that children will choose; in hotels and restaurants; and in eating establishments serving anything from hamburgers to haute cuisine. With the World Cup now less than five months away, McCain is gearing up for what could be a record year in South Africa. The state- of- the- art factory is in full production and to satisfy the multitude of visitors, McCain is launching its products in more outlets than ever before. McCain is now shipping its products to customers in at least eight African countries, from Angola to Zambia, where tastes of the emerging market are emulating western eating habits. To celebrate its 10th anniversary in South Africa, McCain is forecasting as much as a 20 per cent increase in sales for the year.- Editorial research by Matt Syder February 10 www. bus- ex. com 89

90 www. bus- ex. com February 10 defy As the credit fuelled by T he sandwich lunch is big business and in South Africa, when companies order lunch, they turn to Sandwich Baron. The country's leading sandwich maker started out in Alberton in 1996, when, armed with just R5,000, former self-taught restaurateur Sally J'Arlette- Joy decided to make her own sandwiches. " We had small beginnings but the food was all fresh and I have always preferred to cut ingredients myself rather than have food pre- cut- I feel that makes a big difference with the taste. I based my concept on a French bread I had in the UK filled to the brim with tuna mayo and crispy salad. The food was so good that people started to enquire into running franchises and we quickly established three company stores," Joy explains. A former London resident, Joy quickly saw demand for her sandwiches rocket and began to offer franchises six years ago. Today she commands an empire of 59 stores across South Africa, employing in the region of 750 workers. On average she says that the franchisees are bringing in revenues of approximately R7.5 million every month. The company delivers over 70 different types of sandwich, with everything made to order and nothing left to waste. crunch Lunchto While not the enjoying a total monopoly, Sandwich Baron is very much the dominant force in lunchtime food and Joy continues to see her market share increase, with the biggest store now employing 18 kitchen staff and 12 drivers. An aggressive marketing campaign has helped to grow the business nationally, with the corporate market unquestionably Joy's biggest target audience. " Roughly 90 per cent of our business comes from offices, with the other 10 per cent from public sales. Our marketing has very much aimed at the lunchtime trade, as we close at 4pm each day," she explains. Roughly two years ago, the business launched its first